Chief Instructor: Grand Master Phap Lu
Grand Master Phap Lu currently holds an 9th Degree Black Belt and has studied Taekwon-Do for over 35 years.
Grand Master Lu was born in Saigon, Vietnam in 1956. At the age of 13, he started Taekwon-Do training and received his 1st Degree Black Belt at the age of 15. He then became an Instructor at the famous Ohdokwan Taekwon-Do School in Vietnam.
In 1979, Grand Master Lu came to Canada and joined Jung Park’s Taekwon-Do School as an Assistant Instructor and trained under the tutelage of Park Jung Taek.
Grand Master Lu won first place in Free Style Breaking Techniques at the Inter Continental Cup in Quebec City in 1982. He also helped the Canadian Team place 1st overall at the same tournament. Grand Master Lu was a Gold Medallist in the 4th World Taekwon-Do Championship held in Scotland in 1984. Over 45 countries participated and Grand Master Lu helped lead the Canadian Team to be the victorious Grand Champions.
In 1989, the Founder of Taekwon-Do, General Choi Hong Hi, requested Grand Master Lu, to assist him with International Instructor’s Seminars around the world. Grand Master Lu assisted General Choi since that time with International Instructor’s Seminars until the General’s death in 2002.
General Choi Hong Hi (Legendary founder of Taekwon-Do) & Grand Master Phap Lu
On the Academic side, Grand Master Lu earned his MBA Degree from the University of Ottawa at the year of 1996. In 2002, Grand Master Lu was one of the founding members of the Canadian Taekwon-Do Association (CTA). Grand Master Lu currently holds the positions of Secretary General and Chairman of Technical Committee with the CTA. In 2003, Grand Master Lu was appointed as the President of the Pan Am Taekwon-Do Council and the Member of the ITF Executive Committee by the International Taekwon-Do Federation.
Some of Grand Master Lu’s numerous achievements:
- Appointed Chief Instructor for the expansion of Taekwon-Do in the Ottawa Carleton region
- International Taekwon-Do Master Instructor
- International Umpire and Examiner
- Assistant Instructor for the Founder of Taekwon-Do; General Choi Hong Hi
- President of the PAN AM TAEKWON-DO COUNCIL
- Member of the ITF Executive Committee
- Chairman of ITF Information Committee
- Chairman of Technical Committee of the Canadian Taekwon-Do Association
- Canadian National Team Technical Consultant
- Deputy Secretary General of the INTERNATIONAL MARTIAL ART GAMES COMMITTEE
- Author of the self defense book-“ Enough is Enough”
- Author of TAEKWON-DO CURRICULUM TEXT BOOKS
- Author of “Umpiring and Tournament Guide”
- Author of “Lu’s Taekwon-Do Instructor Manual”
- Author of “Martial Art Business Management”
- Producer of the Self-Defense DVD “Enough is Enough”
- Producer of the 24 TAEKWON-DO PATTERNS DVDs Series
- Producer of the TAEKWON-DO CURRICULUM DVDs
- Producer of the Lu’s Taekwon-Do Instructor Course DVD
- Producer of “TAEK CHO” DVD
- Producer of “ITF Umpire Training” DVD
- 1984 World Champion 4TH ITF World TKD Championship – Glasgow, Scotland
- 1982 Champion- Intercontinental Cup- Quebec, Canada
- 1985 winner of the “Outstanding Ontario Youth award” for Athletic Achievement
- In 1994 received the ‘Outstanding Instructor Award” from General Choi Hong Hi
- Founder/Principle of the INTERNATIONAL TAEKWON-DO CORRESPONDENT SCHOOL
- Founder of “SOFT FIST”- A Canadian version of Tai-Chi
- Founder of “TAEK CHO”- Aerobic Kickboxing exercise